FIRO-MAR Workshop Highlights Lessons Learned from Water Year 2023
August 10, 2023
The Flood-MAR Network hosted a FIRO-MAR virtual Workshop on Thursday, July 20th, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm PT.
Workshop Purpose: What are we learning from this past winter that can inform or improve reservoir operations in future wet years and advance FIRO-MAR?
The workshop was facilitated by Meagan Wylie (CSUS) and moderated by Duncan Axisa (CW3E). Opening remarks by Cary Talbot (USACE) focused on the research and development aspects of FIRO.
Presenters gave insight to what happened this water year with respect to atmospheric river activity, explored how FIRO made a difference in managing runoff in 2022/23, reviewed tools available for reservoir operators to make forecast-informed decisions, and discussed work being done throughout the state to identify FIRO-MAR opportunities and advance FIRO-MAR implementation.
The Workshop Recording is posted to the Flood-MAR Hub here.
FIRO-MAR Workshop Presenters:
- ADAM HUTCHINSON, Orange County Water District (email@example.com)
- CARY TALBOT, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Cary.A.Talbot@usace.army.mil)
- CHAD HECHT, Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes (CW3E) , Scripps Institution of Oceanography (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- DAVID ARRATE, CA Department of Water Resources (David.Arrate@water.ca.gov)
DUNCAN AXISA, Center for Western Weather and Water Extremes (CW3E), Scripps Institution of Oceanography (email@example.com)
- PATRICK SING, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, San Francisco District (Patrick.F.Sing@usace.army.mil)
WYATT ARNOLD, CA Department of Water Resources (Wyatt.Arnold@water.ca.gov)
Meagan Wylie (Sacramento State)