CW3E AR Update: 9 November 2023 Outlook
November 9, 2023
Click here for a pdf of this information.
Potential Atmospheric River to Impact the West Coast Next Week
- Several low pressure systems will interact across the Northeast Pacific Ocean this weekend.
- As they do, they will evolve into a deep storm system off the California coast.
- Significant amounts of moisture will be drawn northward into the system.
- As the system advances onshore, at least one atmospheric river will develop and very likely bring widespread rain and snow to the West Coast and inland areas.
- The Atmospheric River Reconnaissance field campaign has been tracking these systems and is planning sampling flights coming up.
- Watch for updates from CW3E in the days ahead and follow local NOAA/NWS offices for official forecast updates.
Click images to see loops of GFS IVT and 500 hPa Vorticity forecasts
Valid 0000 UTC 12 November – 0000 UTC 17 November 2023
Summary provided by P. Iniguez, C. Castellano, M. Steen, and S. Bartlett; 9 November 2023
To sign up for email alerts when CW3E post new AR updates click here.
*Outlook products are considered experimental