CW3E AR Update: 22 January 2021 Outlook
January 22, 2021
Click here for a pdf of this information.
Active Weather Pattern Forecast Across the Western U.S. this Weekend through Next Week
- A series of upper-level shortwave disturbances will bring multiple episodes of precipitation to the southwestern U.S. this weekend into early next week
- At least 1–3 inches of precipitation are forecasted in the Southern Sierra, coastal Southern California, and Central Arizona in association with these shortwave disturbances
- Significant snowfall accumulations are possible over the higher terrain in the southwestern U.S.
- There is increasing forecast confidence in a landfalling AR and major precipitation event next week over California
- However, there is still considerable uncertainty in the location, duration, and intensity of this landfalling AR
- More than 5 inches of total precipitation are possible over the California Coast Ranges, Sierra Nevada, and Southern California Transverse Ranges during the next 7 days
Click images to see loops of ECMWF IVT & IWV forecasts
Valid 0000 UTC 22 January – 0000 UTC 30 January 2021
Probability of AR Conditions Along Coast: dProg/dt
Model Runs: 00Z 17 Jan – 00Z 22 Jan 2021 (every 12 h)
Summary provided by C. Castellano, C. Hecht, J. Kalansky, and F. M. Ralph; 22 January 2021
*Outlook products are considered experimental